The topic for the XR CIG for its November meeting is access and accessibility. We welcomed Owen McGrath, Director for Strategic Initiatives & Programs Research, Teaching, & Learning at UC Berkeley, to discuss his work on employing universal design principles to AR and VR. He shared resources from his presentation that you may find below.
We were also joined by Dr. Helina Hoyt and Andrea Sanchez to discuss their work to improve equity and access in the Nursing Program in the Imperial Valley. Their presentation can be viewed below.
- Burgstahler, Sheryl. Creating Inclusive Learning Opportunities in Higher Education: A universal design toolkit. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Education Press, 2020.
- Makransky, G., Terkildsen, T. S., & Mayer, R. E. (2019). “Adding immersive virtual reality to a science lab simulation causes more presence but less learning.” Learning and Instruction, 60, 225-236.
- XR ACCESS – A community committed to making virtual, augmented, and mixed reality (XR) accessible to people with disabilities. https://xraccess.org/
- EDUCAUSE Learning Lab | Leading XR Initiatives: Addressing Privacy, Security, and Ethics – Led by Maya Georgieva, Didier Contis, Ricky LaFosse, & Jeremy Nelson
- UC Berkeley XR Community of Practice: https://rtl.berkeley.edu/uc-berkeley-xr-community-practice