The topic for the XR CIG for its November meeting is access and accessibility. We welcomed Owen McGrath, Director for Strategic Initiatives & Programs Research, Teaching, & Learning at UC Berkeley, to discuss his work on employing universal design principles to AR and VR. He shared resources from his presentation that you may find below.
- Burgstahler, Sheryl. Creating Inclusive Learning Opportunities in Higher Education: A universal design toolkit. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Education Press, 2020.
- Makransky, G., Terkildsen, T. S., & Mayer, R. E. (2019). “Adding immersive virtual reality to a science lab simulation causes more presence but less learning.” Learning and Instruction, 60, 225-236.
- XR ACCESS – A community committed to making virtual, augmented, and mixed reality (XR) accessible to people with disabilities. https://xraccess.org/
- EDUCAUSE Learning Lab | Leading XR Initiatives: Addressing Privacy, Security, and Ethics – Led by Maya Georgieva, Didier Contis, Ricky LaFosse, & Jeremy Nelson
- UC Berkeley XR Community of Practice: https://rtl.berkeley.edu/uc-berkeley-xr-community-practice